I'm stuck :(

Questions about Lore? Facing tough encounters? Need some advice? This is the place!

I'm stuck :(

Postby Knockoutpill » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm low level, probably like 4-5. I have completed the rat cave, the mushroom forest, the mausoleum in the first city and the beach. I have one currently active quest and that is to kill the ogre blocking the north west path out of the first town (Velgarn?). His threat level to me is "titan"...

I have been to the arena and killed what I can kill there. I sat for an hour trying to get through golden woods but was unsuccessful, and that drained all my food and most of my money. On my way back to the town, I was ambushed by two thieves who stole a lot more of my money (and then fled the fight). I keep losing a lot of money to the town guards wanted me to pay toll every time and enter the town and also quite often when I exit it.

So now I'm at like 100 gold and I have food for one day. I can't kill the ogre, I can't find my way through the golden woods, I can't open the gate to the temple in the north east (next to the rat cave), I can't open the door to the tower to the east (right south of the rat cave) and I can't find my way through the golden woods.

I love the game but it's really frustrating that food is so expensive and that you run out of it so fast. I would like to explore more but I'm constantly forced to go harvest the plants in the town.
Knockoutpill

Re: I'm stuck :(

Postby Anubis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:13 am

If the Golden Woods are proving difficult to navigate through, innkeeper tips can help :P Don't give up.

Cereal Plants as well as selling a few commodities (or low-level pieces of armor) may be able to pick you back up. Guards will not fine you unless the party's purse looks full of coins... they are slimeballs :)
Anubis
Titan

Postby Knockoutpill » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Anubis wrote:If the Golden Woods are proving difficult to navigate through, innkeeper tips can help :P Don't give up.

Cereal Plants as well as selling a few commodities (or low-level pieces of armor) may be able to pick you back up. Guards will not fine you unless the party's purse looks full of coins... they are slimeballs :)

I only had enough money to get one rumor from the innkeeper and it was "If you find a locked secret door, search the surrounding areas for a way to open it", or something to that effect.

Now I have no money, food for less than one day and nowhere to go. Guess I'll have to start over and throw away the seven hours I've already spent on the game, but the thing is, even if I got to this position again I wouldn't know what to do.

If food wasn't so extremely expensive at least I could explore and find the way through the golden woods sooner or later.
Knockoutpill

Postby Knockoutpill » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:01 pm

I finally made it through the golden woods. I had to cheat by making a save at the start of the woods and then reload that save every time I went the wrong way. But now I'm at chapter two and have somewhere to go.
Knockoutpill

Postby Anubis » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Glad you figured a way out.

Unless you are playing on hardcore (in which case we admire your courage), remember that the party being hungry only affects their combat effectiveness. Navigating the Golden Woods at night can be a little difficult without a Torch, but there are no encounters to be found in it, and so lack of food is fine.
Anubis
Titan

Postby Knockoutpill » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:51 pm

Ah, thanks. Someone sent me a PM with that information too. :)

I got absolutely slaughtered by the beholder (only managed to get one attack in and then he killed my entire party) but then I read another thread hinting that blessings are really good and three blessings later I managed to beat him!

Now again I'm kind of stuck on what to do next, but give me a couple of hours and I'll figure it out. :)
Knockoutpill

Postby Horrorscope » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:16 am

Knockoutpill wrote:Now again I'm kind of stuck on what to do next, but give me a couple of hours and I'll figure it out. :)

Yes the game is very much like that. It's good that it is, but there will be a lot of moaning over it as well.

The game for me take away the gfx and just discuss the play elements, it's like a game of back and forth, looking for weak spots to advance further, before you hit another roadblock and then it's back to looking for a weakness elsewhere and feed off that area for a while. It is actually good gameplay, but many of us have been weaned off gameplay like that, that imo it will catch many off guard.
Horrorscope
Believer

Postby ConjurerDragon » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Anubis wrote:Glad you figured a way out.

Unless you are playing on hardcore (in which case we admire your courage), remember that the party being hungry only affects their combat effectiveness. Navigating the Golden Woods at night can be a little difficult without a Torch, but there are no encounters to be found in it, and so lack of food is fine.

I just met a Cursed Hound in the Golden Woods that wiped my starved party... :oops:
ConjurerDragon
Believer

Return to Tales, Tactics & Strategies